Sunday, January 15, 2012

My Pyelonephritis

              It started Wednesday night with a painful bladder and frequent pee breaks.  I pretended that the racking chills and shaking I experienced on my way to work on Thursday was just stress.  Being cooped up in a train for forty five minutes with the above symptoms was enough to worry anyone.  I decided the mild pain and pressure in the middle of my back was due to leaning over my computer.  I happily assured myself that, after sitting at my desk for 1.5 hours without a bathroom break, there wasn’t anything seriously wrong.  Unfortunately, at 2am on Friday morning, the intense shivering gained a new symptom: vomiting.  Off the emergency room – I was not okay.

                This is why I love the city.  At any time of day, there is a place where everyone is awake and waiting to help you, get you some place or give you food.  Cabs were plentiful at 3am, cheery doctors and nurses were waiting for me, and some people-watching helped pass the time.  Please don’t think I was in a good mood (quite the opposite), but I appreciated the beacon of civilization in the middle of a miserable evening.  I didn’t feel so alone.

                A quick urine test sealed my fate – pyelonephritis, also known as a kidney infection.  Great.  May I have some antibiotics, please, sir?


How does this happen?  Urinary tract infections (UTIs) happen when bacteria get in the urethra/bladder.  They find it very cozy there and begin to multiply.  Early symptoms include bladder pain, frequent need to pee, and pain during urination.  If left untreated, the bacteria can spread up to your kidneys.  The symptoms then progress to back pain, fever, shaking chills and vomiting.  Women are more likely to get UTIs than men due to shorter urethras and proximity to a haven of E. coli.  


How does the test work? I had wanted a urine analysis on Thursday afternoon but was unable to get one (because of my own inability to procure a primary care doctor when switching insurance.  Seriously, this whole debacle was a series of failures on my part).  What would a urine analysis have shown?

                Human urine contains nitrate, shown in Figure 51.1.  Some bacteria are able to uptake nitrate and turn it into nitrite (Figure 51.1).  Presence of nitrite in your urine suggests bacteria are present!

               I got my urine analysis in the emergency room.  After telling my story to the doctor, she asked the nurse if my analysis showed blood because my symptoms were more in tune with kidney stones than an infection.  

               "No," he happily replied.  "No blood, but she had nitrites!"


How do the antibiotics work? In order to clear the infection, the bacteria must be killed so antibiotics are necessary.  The word antibiotic is quite simple: “anti” means against in Greek, while “bios” means “life.”  Many different kinds of antibiotics exist, but they all do the same general thing: disrupt bacterial cells without disrupting human cells.  How does one achieve this?

                In broad strokes, bacteria do the same functions as human cells: replicate their DNA, transcribe DNA into RNA, translate RNA into protein (Central Dogmapost), but the proteins they use to do it are a bit different than human proteins.  For example, a protein known as DNA Polymerase is responsible for replicating DNA in cells.  Human DNA polymerase looks very different than bacterial DNA polymerase.  If you can identify a drug that will – say – bind to bacterial DNA polymerase and make it unable to function, then the bacteria will die.  Since human DNA polymerase looks different, that same molecule can’t inactive human DNA polymerase.  Win.  You kill bacteria cells without killing human cells!

                Antibiotics target different things.  Some keep bacteria from making their cell walls, some inhibit different enzymes necessary for bacterial life.  My drug of choice is levofloxacin, which specifically blocks bacterial topoisomerase IV and DNA gyrase.  Both of these are involved in unwinding DNA for replication.  If the bacteria can’t unwind their DNA, they can’t replicate it or continue to grow.  


                After three doses of antibiotics, I feel almost human.  I have three more to go.  Bouncing back from this hasn’t been quite as fast as I’d hoped (today is the first day I can sit at my computer and focus on work), but the shivering chills have stopped and I’m slowly regaining my appetite.  I have weird cravings when I’m sick – tonight, all I want for dinner is fried chicken.

                Much more info is available on UTIs, kidney infections, and antibiotics.  Read more if you are interested!  Also, if you get any of those symptoms, go to a freaking doctor!  Don’t be stupid like me.

                My apologies for being a little MIA in the past week.  Obviously, this is why.  I’m working to update all my blogs now and catch up on work that I’ve missed over the past week.  I have all the Sickle Cell posts outlined so they should be up soon!


REFERENCES


Some medical info on urine cultures, common UTI bacteria: http://www.medindia.net/education/familymedicine/utinfection-urineculture.htm

Generalized antibiotic information: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/10278.php

No comments:

Post a Comment