Thursday, August 2, 2012

Things you’d think we know… but we don’t.


                “Hey, do you want to be an expert witness?” my husband asked me one night.

                “Maybe,” I answered suspiciously.  “What am I an expert on?”

                “Aluminum,” he said rather matter-of-factly.  I, however, started laughing.

                “Oh, I am?  Says who?”

                “Everyone!  You have a Ph.D. in chemistry!”  I could tell from his response that he wasn’t kidding.  I simply smiled and shook my head.

                “I’m not that kind of chemist,” I explained.  “I do biological chemistry.”

                “Aren’t they same?  Aluminum’s a chemical and you know about chemicals.”

                “Not really,” I sighed.




                Oh, there are so many things that I do not know; my incomplete knowledge of the earth’s soft metals is only the tip of the iceberg.  This exchange highlighted one of the many misconceptions about a regular scientist’s knowledge and skill set.  Having a degree in science doesn’t mean that I know everything about every kind of science.  Physics isn’t the same as either molecular biology or cellular biology, nor are those two the same as each other.  Just as a neurologist has a different knowledge base than an orthopedic surgeon, such does a chemist, biologist, physicist and astronomer.   

                “Okay, can you be an expert on explosives?” he asked with greater enthusiasm.

                I just stared at him blankly.


                While walking around lab this past week, I paid attention to the things that my colleagues and I didn’t know that would probably be interesting to those outside of my field.  We all have notions about other professions.  I’m rather certain that my lawyer husband spends all day/every day reading thick legal books and that my chef brother-in-law has encountered every food-stuff ever to grace this earth.  They can tell you why I’m wrong about them, but I’ll dispel some common misconceptions that I run into about scientists.


We’re excellent at math.

                The first day in my graduate lab, an older student asked me to calculate something.  When I asked for a calculator, he looked at me like I suggested nailing my hand to a wall.  When I mumbled that even a pen and piece of paper would be helpful, he sighed and told me the number I needed with a “do better next time” look.  I was humbled.  And scared.  Was everyone in science like this??

                Turns out, the answer is a resounding no.  Even for the simplest of calculations, I still pull out a piece of paper to set up the basic algebra.  I have to.  Others feel similarly, but choose their gloved hand instead of paper for writing out equations.  While a technician, my boss would often write all over his glove, circle the important numbers, and then promptly throw the glove away before doing the experiment.  He’d then pull out another glove and do it all over again.

                Members of my graduate lab predominantly kept to themselves when doing work, but my post doctoral lab is more … incestuous … about experiments; everyone’s in each other’s business.  In turn, this means that we’re all checking each other’s math.  I’ve become the de facto checker because I’m the chemist; most of the biologists would rather think about more abstract things than if they added the right amount of reagents.  I’m not sure if one of my labmates even owns a calculator – he just avoids experiments that require any kind of quantitation.


We’re not social.

                The stories are out there; I know you’ve heard them.  Little can top the blurb posted on my Facebook wall last week about a lively dinner involving several physicists and my friend Jay.  Apparently Jay discovered that those of the physics variety would rather watch white-water rafting (for hours) on the internet than partake because it was less dangerous.  I believe they also squared away that drugs and rock-n-roll are bad for everyone and that long awkward pauses enlighten even the most dismal dining experiences.  I can’t tell you how hard I laughed at this because, while I understand that these people exist, they are not the norm.  I promise.

                Granted, scientists tend to be a little nerdier than most (we read constantly and understand the terms “nanoparticle” and “western blotting”), but we also have frustrations that drive us to the bars just like the lawyers, med students, and financiers of the world.  I don’t think I’ve ever gone to as many happy hours or been anywhere near as social in my life as I was while working on my Ph.D.  I went out with members of other labs several nights a week and had lively conversations.  Okay, it was a lot about our jobs, but mostly our boss frustrations or teaching nightmares.  We rarely bemoaned that our ethanol precipitations of DNA didn’t work and we most definitely didn’t discuss abstract theories unless to say “It makes no sense!”  Often the loudest or the largest group in our favorite bars, we had befriended most of the bartenders, were well-known and well-liked.

                Life is quieter now that I don’t work at a university, but if getting scientists to some sort of event is necessary, alcohol and not making the topic extra ridiculously nerdy is always a good call; the normals from all labs will be drawn out to have a fun time together.  Unfortunately, those physicists up there won’t make it, but their labmates will and we’ll have a good laugh at everyone’s expense.


We always understand the results of our experiments.

                In a recent group meeting, one of my labmates gave a presentation where he openly stated that he got a result that no one in our lab understood immediately.  It was most definitely the truth because the result was so strange.  My PI announced he was uncomfortable with such a public statement of ignorance and that my labmate should re-tailor this area of the presentation.  Myself and another labmate asked why admitting limited knowledge, especially on something that no one had ever encountered before, was a bad thing.

                The entire point of science is to push the boundaries of what we know and understand.  It’s what makes a graduate student get up at 5am to go to lab or a post doctoral associate cry at night when his data isn’t good enough for a Nature paper.  It’s what we live and breathe on a daily basis.  Sure, we go into an experiment having assumptions on how it’s going to turn out, but that’s most definitely not always what happens.  However, even when we get some screwy results, we are usually able to frame them in the context of previously known science.  But, ever so rarely, we do come across data that defies logical explanation.  In short, the community’s knowledge cannot offer any sort of framework.  These moments are rare and to be celebrated.  It was this type of situation my labmate was describing and we have every right to say “WTF is that?”  

                An undergraduate student at that same lab meeting said her friends often ask her why we haven’t found the cure for cancer yet if we know so much.  The answer is obvious, we don’t know everything yet.  Given the complexities that are constantly being discovered about our cells, proteins, DNA, and environmental interaction, I sometimes wonder if we ever will.


REFERENCES

Me, myself and I

               

No comments:

Post a Comment